Sunday, October 20, 2013

Wide River Winery- Le Claire

On this particular day, I was traveling for work. It was June 5th, 2013 and I was in Moline, IL for the day. I was on my way home and I remembered that there was a winery in Le Claire, IA that had recently opened. So I took a small detour and took the exit for Le Claire. The winery was easy to find, it was right on the main drag. I felt a little odd going in there by myself but I figured, what the heck. So I parked out front and crossed the street. There were a few other people there so I just found a spot up at the bar and waited for the server. She gave me their wine list and we exchange small talk for a little while. She was very nice and told me about their original location in Clinton, IA. I told her I was in the area for work and I figured I should stop and take advantage of being in the area. I tried five of their wines, all of which were very good. My favorites were Ms. D'Meanor White and Blushing Testimony. The Ms. D'Meanor White was dry and not too dry. I've come to the realization that those have become my favorite. The Blushing Testimony was a blush wine but it had that taste of a concord. I considered it a semi-sweet and I thought it was really good. I sat there for a little while and sipped on my samples. I didn't want to drink too much too quickly since I still had a 2 hour drive home. Their building was quite beautiful and it appeared that they had put a lot of work into making it look nice. I purchased a couple of bottles, thanked them for their hospitality and went on my way.


I wasn't quite done with Le Claire yet though. I had one more stop and it was just up the road. I had seen it on my way to the winery and I couldn't pass up on stopping. I don't know how much the rest of the world knows about the TV show American Pickers but their main office and where they originated from, as far as I know, is in Le Claire, IA. If you don't know what the show is about, I will give you a quick blurp. These two guys, Mike and Frank, travel around the country buying peoples junk to fix up and resell. The show has been on for several seasons now and like I've said in earlier posts, Iowa isn't known for too much so we are kind of proud of these two guys. It is a reality show, but I think they represent our state well. They are no Honey Boo Boo, and I thank God for that! Anyway, they have their little shop that doesn't take too long to walk around but the cool part was that they display some stuff shown on the show. Most of it was for sale but they also had a bunch of labeled items for sale too. I ended up buying a couple of magnets and car stickers for my father and my husband. They both love the show.
So my uneventful day of work ended with a great little adventure. If you are ever the Quad Cities area, stop in to both places and that will surely be the treasure of the day.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment