Saturday, February 23, 2013

Engelbrecht Family Winery

This winery trip was a special day for me. I decided I wanted to take the women of my family to the winery that was closest to my hometown. It was November 19th, 2011 and my grandmother, my mother, my two sisters, and myself headed to Engelbrecht Family Winery in Fredericksburg, IA. This was an amazing place. They not only make wine, they also have a bed and breakfast. You pull into the drive to find a big blue farm house and small building with a winery sign where you get greeted by a huge but exceptionally friendly dog. The owners were very charming and of course they served us with some samples of their wine. My favorites were Heritage, White, Irish Charm, and Raspberry. The Heritage is a smooth yet subtle concord wine. The Irish Charm and the Raspberry are both very sweet and should be served as dessert wines. The White is a crisp white wine blended with three of their different grapes. This wine is very similar to a riesling wine. Their White wine is one of my all time favorite wines. We all enjoyed the wine as well as the company of the owners. The icing on the cake with our visit to Engelbrecht was the variety of truffles that they had and of course, we had to try a few. After leaving the winery, we traveled to Marquette to Eagles Landing Winery to try their wines as well. We also stopped at Old Man River Restaurant and Brewery in McGregor for lunch. We sampled a couple of their brews which were delicious and where we also had an excellent lunch. It was a great day and the best part was bonding with the most important women in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment